Catalog/Online Prescription Policy
At Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic, it is our policy to take every possible step to ensure that our patients receive the very best pharmaceutical products available. This is especially important with life-threatening illnesses such as heartworm disease. However, we understand and empathize with the desire to find products cheaper. We know that several catalogue houses may sell these products cheaper than we are able to in some cases. If you wish, we will gladly write prescriptions for your pet for these products in lieu of selling them here. We do, however wish for your decision to be an informed decision, and want you to know several things regarding catalogue house prescription sales:
1. All major manufacturers maintain a strict policy of sales exclusively through licensed veterinarians. All catalogue house sales are through non-approved channels.
2. Most guarantees that manufacturers make regarding their products are null and void if their products are purchased through non-approved channels. This includes the guarantee reimbursement programs for many flea control products, as well as all heartworm and intestinal parasite claims.
3. Pharmaceuticals manufactured and labeled for use in other countries (namely Australia) have been illegally diverted and sold through these discount houses in the United States.
4. Because of the illicit business practices of many of these companies, drug manufacturers will not sell their products directly to them. These companies solicit veterinarians and veterinary staff to resell products to them. This has been linked to product theft from veterinary hospitals, subsequently increasing veterinary fees, and it
has resulted in the resale of stolen goods by these companies.
5. Discount houses have been cited by the FDA and State Boards of Pharmacy for violating prescribing procedures. PetMedExpress (a.k.a. SaveMax, 1-800-PETMEDS), in particular, was recently fined over $100,000.00 by the FDA and Florida Department of Health. This particular discount house has also recently been sued by the Texas Board of
Veterinary Medical Examiners and the Texas Pharmacy Board, and has Pharmacy
Board inquiries pending in 19 other states.
6. Our products come with a person to help you utilize them in the most efficient manner. For example, we do not charge for consults for flea control if a prescription flea control product was purchased here.
7. Shipping charges, delays, mis-shipments, and damaged products are several of the reasons that many clients feel that the hassles of dealing with the catalogue houses are not
worth the savings.
8. Understand that the sales of many of our retail products help subsidize the cost of other services at the hospital, namely many emergency and rarely used drugs.
If you prefer to purchase your products at catalogue houses, we will gladly write prescriptions for these products according to the following guidelines:
1. All state and federal prescribing laws apply, the same as if you purchase it here.
2. For products that are prescribed on a semi or annual basis, namely heartworm/flea
prevention medication, we will write one prescription per pet per year at no charge. You must pick this prescription up in person. We strongly recommend that you fax this to them and retain the original yourself. If this prescription is lost or filled improperly by the catalog house, additional copies will be provided to you at a nominal fee.
3. To avoid any potential doctor-patient confidentiality issues, we will not communicate with the discount house in any form or fashion.
4. It is your responsibility to ensure that the prescription is sent, filled, labeled, shipped, and used correctly. The discount houses have a reputation for poor customer service, and we cannot be expected to take the time to oversee their operations.
5. We will not become involved in any product failure issues for products purchased
through these discount houses. This includes flea, heartworm, and intestinal parasite prevention.
As an alternative to online pharmacies, Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic is proud to offer our own online service, VetSREET Pet Portal. VetSTREET is an interactive online service that allows you to setup and access a secure, personalized pet health website:
Use your private pet health website to:
- Manage your pet’s health care
- View medication schedules
- Communicate with us online
- Schedule appointments
- Request Prescription Refills
- Learn more about your pet’s individual
health and life-stage issues
- Shop our ONLINE STORE for prescriptions, over the counter products, and food that will be delivered to your home
Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns! Thanks for you understanding
-Pismo Beach Veterinary Clinic